Ontario Provincial Police
Ontario Provincial Police
▲ Top

Police Record Checks

Police record checks are required for a variety of purposes including employment, adoption, international travel, volunteer work, citizenship, name change, student placement or to obtain a record suspension (formerly pardon).

OPP record check applications are now online!

OPP record check applications — including payment and ID verification — are now online. Your identity will be verified using Electronic Identity Verification (EIV). The majority of applicants will not be required to attend an OPP detachment (see exceptions). The application process is quick, easy and secure.

Follow these three steps to prepare to apply.

Step 1: Confirm that you live in an OPP-policed community

To request an OPP Record Check, you must live in an OPP-policed community. Use the map below to find out who polices your community.

Find an OPP detachment in your area.

Attention: Applicants that live in Quinte West, please choose Brighton as your home Detachment during the application process.

Step 2: Identify which type of record check you need

During your online application, you will be required to select the type of police record check you need. The agency/organization requesting the check will communicate to you which type of check you need. The OPP cannot make this decision for you.

The OPP provides four types of record checks, including:

  • Criminal Record Check (CRC)
  • Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
  • Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
  • OPP Non-Parent Custody Check (LE213)

If your agency letter states that you require a Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check, you only need to request a Vulnerable Sector Check.

Step 3: Gather what you need

A few pieces of information will be required when you apply for a police record check. You will need:

  • a letter from your Canadian agency/organization identifying the type(s) of checks you require.
  • to be prepared to answer financial questions in order to verify your identification (as part of the EIV process).
  • a credit card or pre-paid credit card available for payment
    • Record checks: $41.00
    • Fingerprints: $90.00
    • Volunteer checks: free

Questions and Contact Information

Need more information? Learn more about the release of private information, applicants under 16 years of age, and the reconsideration process. Or, check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). If your question is not addressed in the FAQs, contact 1-833-909-0057 for additional information or for support.